Analysis | Six Times Roger Stone and Donald Trump Spoke During the Campaign
Donald Trump claims he “fired” his long-time friend Roger Stone from his campaign in August 2015. But the two remained in contact throughout the campaign. In fact, on March 30, 2016, Stone claimed the two spoke more often than “monthly” but “not every day, not every other day.”
We know of at least six calls between the two during the campaign:
- November 10, 2015: Stone claims he “just got off the phone with Trump”.
- February 28, 2016: Stone speaks with Trump “for 45 minutes,” according to Alex Jones.
- February 29, 2016: Trump speaks with Stone, according to Stone.
- March 25, 2016: Trump calls Stone for advice, according to Stone. Stone recommends that Trump reach out to Paul Manafort. On March 28, Trump hires Manafort as his campaign chair.
- July 16, 2016: Trump speaks with Stone, according to Stone. This is the same day Trump announces Pence as VP.
- August 17, 2016: With Stone’s “persuad[ing],” Trump hires Steve Bannon to replace Manafort.
We also know of at least three calls/meetings between the two since Election Day:
- November 10, 2016: Stone says he “spoke to President-Elect Trump…on a broad variety of topics.”
- December 6, 2016: Trump and Stone hold a private meeting in Trump Tower.
- January 20, 2016: Stone attends Trump’s inauguration.
And we know the two constantly coordinated:
- October 15, 2015: Trump tweets out an Amazon link to Roger Stone’s new book: “The latest book on Hillary — Wow, a really tough one!http://www.amazon.com/dp/151070678X @RogerJStoneJr”
- December 18, 2015: Stone launches a pro-Trump Super PAC.
- January 5, 2016: Trump cites Roger Stone’s new book while on Sean Hannity.
- February 27, 2016: Trump tweets: .#RogerStone was just banned by@CNN — their loss! Tough, loyal guy.
- April 19, 2016: Two sources close to Stone and Trump tell CNN: “Roger is never too far away from Trump … He’s always talking to Donald” and “Roger and Trump always wind up finding their way back to each other.” Stone tells CNN, “I talk to Trump from time to time.”
- July 18–21, 2016: Stone is front and center at the RNC. During an interview with Charlie Rose, Stone describes his role on the campaign as “FOT…Friend of Trump…I have no title, I have no line responsibilities, but I have access to all the right people.” When asked if he has a “lot of access to the candidate,” Stone responds: “He returns my call if I call him” and says that the two share ideas “once and awhile.” Stone adds that he will regularly send “memos” to Trump.